My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://festivalgirl.com.au/
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Supanova 2011 Sydney Review - Popular Culture Expo


Festival Girl Rates: 9.5/10


I had an absolute blast at this year's Supanova Sydney. It really amazes me to see how much this event has grown over the last few years. The very first year I attended, Supanova was at a smaller location with a handful of stalls. Moving to the current location at Olympic Park, Supanova has really grown; the number of Cosplay participants dressing up every character you can imagine is phenomenal - from the creative homemade attempts made from raiding Bunnings and Spotlight, to really authentic costumes that could give the originals a run for their money. 

What I love most about this kind of event is the passion that people have and the smile on the faces of a group of men as they point and reminisce about the Transformer toys they used to play with and all the wonderful memories they had. 

With so much to do at the show, dressing up as a part of Cosplay, getting some new anime dvds, playing on the new Kinect console or coming along just to see the sci-fi TV and film stars including Yuko Miyamura from Asuka in Neon Genesis Evangelion, Berserk, Astro Boy, Amy Acker from Dollhouse and Tom Felton as Draco Malfoy from Harry Potter. 


Transformers, humans robots in disguise!


God I wish I didn't get rid of my Transformers when I was a kid. Who would have thought that they would come back?


Great Two-Face costume. His costume skin looked so...burnt and gross. Love it! Also, quite a example of Heath Ledger's Joker from The Dark Knight


DC vs Marvel. It's on!


Oh geeky Poison Ivy - you've put a spell on me


A female Joker from the original Batman comic series


Ironman is real! Wicked costume


Wolverine from X-men and his lady counterpart


With so many ghoulish characters around, it's good to know we've got this Halo soldier on our side


Kerrigan from Starcraft knows how to strike a pose


This costume was uber impressive in the flesh. 


So that's what the Power Rangers have been up to for the last few years


This Portal 2 droid is looking for someone to help him find his way


Caught out? Freddy and Jason are best of friends and even shop for comics together - aww


I had to do a double-take at this Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Carribean. Not only did he get the outfit spot on, you are also a dead-ringer for Mr Depp himself


Darth Vader does have a soft spot, as they raise money for Miracle Babies Foundation... Aww 


Aliens vs Predator - oh, its on! 


Yuka Miyamura and Tiffany Grant - the talented voice actors of popular anime series Neon Genesis Evangelion


An ingenious costume from this expo visitor




Looks like this Pikachu is all tuckered out


I loved Rainbow Bright when I was growing up


The Dalek Robot from Dr Who


Ah, cute t-shirts!


Dr Who vs the Gargoyle girls

 

Hear no evil...See no evil


I'm not exactly sure who these girls are, but I love their pose - killer shoes.


I was late for school so many times waiting for Tuxedo Mask and Sailor Moon to get together


I always did have a soft spot for the Sailor Moon girls


Seeing the world through rose coloured glasses


Lovin' the lollita-gothic look


Where do I get this outfit? I love the bows and lace 


So cute she wouldn't hurt a fly


Peaches and Luigi, sitting in the tree...


I wonder where the rest of his Tetris buddies are? Also...how do you go to the bathroom?

One bit of advice for next year, is definitely pre-buy your entry tickets, as the line-up to get in this year was insane, with a queue lining up around the block. 

xox love,

Festival Girl

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...